data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, October 28, 2013

Edgar Allan Poe

Poe's literature has a charismatic darkness about it. The twisted plots, and supernatural occurrences attract readers.  One excerpt from any one of Poe's stories will get the reader questioning the sanity of the author. Though there are many gruesome accounts of death in his stories, Poe never killed anyone...or at least as far as we know. Poe's own cause of death is unknown, but some potential theories include suicide. Aside from the more mysterious side of Poe, I would like to unveil a cuddly side which few know about.

Poe loved his cat Catterina.

The first thing that comes to mind is, "It's probably a black cat." Contrary to popular belief, many people have reason to believe that Catterina was actually a tortoise shell kitten. In an excerpt from one of his stories, he writes, "Pluto - this was the cat's name - was my favorite pet and playmate. I alone fed him, and he attended me wherever I went about the house. It was even with difficulty that I could prevent him from following me throught the streets." The excerpt was taken from Poe's "The Black Cat".

So the next time you read something gruesome written by Poe, just remember he has a fuzzy side. 

1 comment:

  1. You really went in depth with analysis of Edgar Allan Poe. You did your research and presented good findings. I like that you looked at a softer side of him.

    ReplyDelete